"For thus says the Lord: Lo, I will spread prosperity over her like a river, and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing torrent. As nurslings, you shall be carried in her arms, and fondled in her lap; As a mother comforts her son, so will I comfort you..." Isaiah 66:12-13

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Of mowing, gardening and decapitations.

Friday we got the chance to go outside and take care of some yardwork. (Not all, of course, I still have more than a few plants to get in the ground, and the weeds keep coming back.)

Before mowing, Jim had to pick up the massive pile of weeds that I left in the yard after pulling them out of the flower bed.

Maria and Amelia helped me plant some flowers. Amelia really enjoyed dumping dirt as we filled a planter. She also decided that I needed to have more dirt on me, and dumped a pot full on my back. Sorry, no pictures of that. Maria is really starting to be a good helper in the garden. Here she is patting dirt around a newly planted calla lily.

Amelia soon got bored with dirt and decided to play t-ball instead.

Maybe one day she'll be able to hit the ball more than a few inches from the tee.

While we were having fun with flowers, Jim was down near the soon to be ground-hog buffet, I mean, veggie garden, clipping the high weeds surrounding it. I heard him give a shout, but he wouldn't tell me what happened until the girls were out of earshot. Apparently, while clipping the grass, he accidentally decapitated a snake, only seeing it after the deed was done. He chucked the body off into the weeds, but the head is still down there somewhere for me to discover.
Fun, fun.

The second decapitation of the day came later, when the girls and I were out on the deck. Amelia picked up the turtle bird feeder and dropped it. I'd say it was a banner day for us.

1 comment:

JimmyV said...

Double decapitation! Nice theme, though I'd call it a no-brainer.