"For thus says the Lord: Lo, I will spread prosperity over her like a river, and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing torrent. As nurslings, you shall be carried in her arms, and fondled in her lap; As a mother comforts her son, so will I comfort you..." Isaiah 66:12-13

Thursday, March 20, 2008

The end of an experiment.

Ok, so when I watched this documentary I was inspired to create my own experiment. I went to "the French Fry House" one day, and despite having watched what this type of food can do to you, ate everything in my combo except for a few fries. These I stuck back in the carton, which I wrote the date of purchase on, and set on my kitchen window sill.

Now, a year later, I give you my results. This photo was taken one March 6, 2008, one year and one day after the fried were purchased.

They still look pretty yummy, don't they? They're hard and smell like rancid oil, so I don't think anyone would mistake them for fresh french fries, but its still rather scary to see that they have maintained their original shape and color without breaking down and getting moldy, like any normal food would.

I have to admit, I have eaten the fries there, even after seeing these sit around so long. But I didn't enjoy them the way I used to.....couldn't stop thinking about what might be in them to preserve them for so long.

I did think about keeping them longer, just to see if they ever break down, but I decided that one year is enough evidence for me. So into the trash they went. Maybe they'll finally break down in the landfill?

No comments: