"For thus says the Lord: Lo, I will spread prosperity over her like a river, and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing torrent. As nurslings, you shall be carried in her arms, and fondled in her lap; As a mother comforts her son, so will I comfort you..." Isaiah 66:12-13

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Weekend fun


This morning we all went to the park, Jim and Maria to the playground, Amelia and I to Baby Boot Camp. I was pretty grumpy, because we were late, and it was HOT and HUMID. I am not a fan of summer weather. Luckily for me, the instructor had pulled a muscle in her back and was very willing to take it easy today, so I did a little cardio while she watched, and then we retreated to the shade for upper body work and abs.

After we were done, poor Amelia looked like she was starting to wilt. She looked up at me with big droopy eyes, as if to say "Why?". Poor thing. But we still had to extract Maria from the playground. I found Jim seated on bench under the half-finished gazebo, staring off into space. He looked wilted. "Maria's over there, with her friends," he said, gesturing in the general direction of the playground.

And there was Maria... running around with about 5 or 6 older kids, probably ages 7-11 or so. She was trying to ride one of their mini-bikes. She seemed completely unaffected by the heat. And she didn't want to leave, of course. We bribed her with one more ride down the slide and then dragged her off to the car.

In the car, I get the brilliant idea that since we're up and out "early" on a Saturday, i.e. before 10, we should drive around and check out the yard sale action. Very good idea. I found a silver plated candy dish for $1.50 that make a nice base for a smallish gift basket. We drove to another sale and found a backpack carrier for $5, so now we've got one for each girl. Great for when we go camping with my family. The best thing of all was the toddler-sized swing set. That's it in the picture above. For $30, it wasn't a bad deal, as it looks brand new. Now we at least have something in the backyard other than the sandbox to keep her occupied while I garden.

Now we're all hiding out inside though, as it's still hot and humid out there. Jim had planned for yardwork, but I think I'll be happiest if he just gets the air conditioner set up in our bedroom.

No comments: