"For thus says the Lord: Lo, I will spread prosperity over her like a river, and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing torrent. As nurslings, you shall be carried in her arms, and fondled in her lap; As a mother comforts her son, so will I comfort you..." Isaiah 66:12-13

Monday, May 21, 2007

Voice-Activated

There are times when I'm really jealous of my husband's ability to fall asleep. Twice in the past week, he has demonstrated his amazing ability to drop off into a deep sleep with little or no warning.

The first time, was Friday night. I had had a really, really and busy day. We were in bed before I really had a chance to decompress and tell him about my day. So, at his request, I started to run through all that had gone on. I made it to ten o'clock, and then he laughed and said, maybe you'd better stop. But I didn't. I plowed on, for another minute or so, until I realized that he was very quiet. This struck me, as Jim is never quiet, unless he's sleeping. So to test my theory that he had fallen asleep I said, "and then aliens landed in the backyard." No response.

The second time, was just last night. I was chatting with him, just after we got into bed. I said something, I don't remember what and he laughed. "What?," I said. I really wanted to know why he was laughing at me. I got no response at all. Just breathing. Argh.

Twice in one week, I was left awake, and stirred up, unable to sleep. I really wish that I had a voice-activated sleep switch like that....

No comments: