"For thus says the Lord: Lo, I will spread prosperity over her like a river, and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing torrent. As nurslings, you shall be carried in her arms, and fondled in her lap; As a mother comforts her son, so will I comfort you..." Isaiah 66:12-13

Monday, October 10, 2011

One lost in the drafts folder.

End of the school year wrap-up.
It's been while since I posted here, though I've written several blog posts in my head over these past months.  Maria has finished her Kindergarten year and has spent most of her summer thus far reading.  She going though books so fast that she's pretty much read all those that I got for "summer reading".  Looks like we'll be spending a lot of time at the library this summer.

Surprisingly enough, Amelia's reading too.  Somewhere over this year, she taught herself just by watching me work with Maria.  I had done a few lessons with her, but not enough for her to read as well as she's reading.  So I think that this will prove to be a challenge for the fall.  How to work with my reading not quite kindergartener.

Joshua will also be a challenge I think.  He loves being outside, but can't be trusted in the yard by himself.  But if he doesn't get outside time he starts running around the house like grunting and thrusting "swords" at everyone, chasing the girls and make them scream.  Not sure I can handle all the boy energy.  There are a few things that he likes to do though, like taking all the DVD's out of their cases and inserting them in the slit between the door to the tv cabinet.  This is very fun, especially when you open the tv cabinet and get hit with a DVD avalanche.

I have nearly all my books already for next year.  Now I just have to sit down with them and figure out a realistic schedule for working through them.  I think this year I planned to do too much.  So I'll be tweeking things a bit for next year.  Including doing science more consistently.  We do a lot of nature study - we don't even have to leave our school room to do it most days.  But Maria is interested in doing experiments, so I'm going to try to include more of those next year.  I'm just really bad about gathering all the supplies ahead of time so that it doesn't take half the day to do one thing.

For now though, my main concern is re-organizing the school closets, finding my desk and maybe doing a mini-portfolio for the girls.  I saved pretty much everything that they did so I at least want to go back and pull some of the best work out, just to get the papers to a manageable level.  I've been watching a lot of "Hoarders" on Netflix so I'm pretty motivated to deal with the clutter before it eats me.

I'm hoping to post here more often in the next few months since, presumably, I'll have more time to do so.  Though I'm beginning to see that homeschooling moms don't really get much of a summer with all the paperwork, curriculum shopping, planning, re-organizing and deep-cleaning (that didn't get done during the school year).  And I love that Maria is enjoying her break and reading so much, but I am a bit jealous of her, because I remember when it was my summer break and I got to do this:


No comments: