"For thus says the Lord: Lo, I will spread prosperity over her like a river, and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing torrent. As nurslings, you shall be carried in her arms, and fondled in her lap; As a mother comforts her son, so will I comfort you..." Isaiah 66:12-13

Friday, January 30, 2009

Standing in the way of Spiritual Growth.


I found a couple great quotes from yesterday's reading of "In Conversation with God" by Francis Fernandez (ICWG). These fit with where I'm at spiritually, and go well with some recent posts by a friend.

From reading 22.1, ICWG Vol3:
"The difficulties, temptations, internal or external obstacles we come up against cause us to grow; the greater the difficulty, the more grace we receive. If He permits us to experience great temptations or setbacks, the Lord will give us still greater help to overcome them. Then all those things that seem to retard our struggle for holiness, or even make succeeding in it seem impossible, will become the cause of spiritual progress and of our effectiveness in the apostolate. It is only a lack of love, nothing less than lukewarmness, that causes the soul's life to fall sick or die. Only a bad will, a lack of generosity towards God, can delay or prevent our union with Him."

From reading 22.2, ICWG Vol3:
"There are various reasons that cause us to make scant progress in the interior life, and even to lose ground and give way to discouragement. However, these reasons can be reduced to just a few: carelessness, negligence in the little things connected with service to God and friendship with Him; drawing back from the sacrifices He asks of us."

(emphasis mine, in both cases)

Definitely something to pray about and meditate on...

How am I impeding my spiritual progress? What "little things" is the Lord asking me to do for Him that I refuse to do or only do grudgingly? (think everyday tasks pertaining to one's vocation) What sacrifices am I being asked to make and how am I trying to get out of them? Do I really seek holiness or just the "warm fuzzies" of knowing God?

One last quote, something I found in my college days:

"I would like to buy $3.00 worth of God, please - not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine.

I don't want enough of God to make me love an enemy or pick beets with a migrant; I want ecstasy, not transformation; I want the warmth of the womb, not new birth. I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack. I would like to buy $3.00 worth of God, please."
Wilbur Rees

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, Jen. Especially that last quote. That's what I want. 3 bucks worth, no more, no less. I now remember that Jim had told me to talk to you. Bad Rob! I hope you are doing OK. I have temporarily stabilized, but, you know, I always do.

Jen said...

Thanks, Rob. I think at the moment I'm doing pretty well. At least I'm thinking a lot about how to get better, and actually following through with some of my grand plans... you know like actually saying a Morning offering, instead of just collecting eighty different versions and waiting for one to inspire me.