"For thus says the Lord: Lo, I will spread prosperity over her like a river, and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing torrent. As nurslings, you shall be carried in her arms, and fondled in her lap; As a mother comforts her son, so will I comfort you..." Isaiah 66:12-13

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Here's the line-up.

We've started school for this year .  Maria will be doing Kindergarten/1 grade level work, though by the school district this would be her Kindergarten year.  I'm planning to have lots of Montessori style activities for Amelia to do and possibly some for Joshua too.

Math: Math-u-see, Primer & Alpha
Reading:  Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons; Phonics workbook; Faith and Freedom Readers; Bob books, Dr. Seuss, etc.
Handwriting: Seton 1st Grade; Writing Can Help; copywork
Religion: Image of God Pre-K/K
History: Connecting with History; Story of the World Vol. 1
Science: Handbook of Nature Study; ; Handbook of Nature Study blog
Art:  Mommy It's a Renoir
Music:  36 Latin Hymns; classical cds

I still need to work out how to do the history stuff.  There's a lot to cover, so I'm thinking that I'll probably let use this for next year too. For religion, I also have Faith and Life: Our Heavenly Father and the First Communion Catechism.  I may switch to these at some point during the year, or just wait till next year.  Right now I have Amelia working with Maria during Math time, but she's moving a little slower.  I want to move Maria quickly through Primer, as it's mostly things we've covered already.

I hope to have some time in the next few days to post some pictures of our classroom and the kids working.  But right now I'm hearing a strange thumping upstairs, so I think I should investigate it.  Sounds like naptime is over.

4 comments:

Aunt Rosey said...

Jen,
Sounds like you have it all planned out , and that you will do fine, I am sure some days will be trying, But I know you will get through it with a deep breath and a prays. I will do my best not to 'bug' you for pictures as you are starting school.. I will savor any pictures that you do find time to post. Lots of love to everyone. May God give you the patient as go through each school day. Love Aunt Rosey

Anonymous said...

Is she your first? Your line up reminds me a lot of Katie's kindergarten year.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was Susie Lloyd, not anonymous who wrote the above comment. I forget my google password.

Jen said...

Susie,
Yes, Maria's my oldest. I have been "doing school" with her for awhile now. We did Little Saints preschool (sorta, mostly used it as a book list) and last year we mostly did MDG kindergarten. As you can see I'm one of those overeager types, starting early and all that.

Amelia's 3, almost 4, and I'm using the Little Saints booklist again, when we find time and when she feels like it. I tried to get her to join in on the math-u-see, but so far she's not that interested and mostly likes using the blocks to build with.

So far things are going fairly well. I'm sure things will go better once I train Joshua not to climb onto the table and brandish colored pencils and scissors.