"For thus says the Lord: Lo, I will spread prosperity over her like a river, and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing torrent. As nurslings, you shall be carried in her arms, and fondled in her lap; As a mother comforts her son, so will I comfort you..." Isaiah 66:12-13

Monday, November 12, 2007

Unhelpful.

So I've been doing this preschool program with Maria. The program centers around reading good picture books that relate to the weekly theme. So we've been using the library a lot recently.

At the suggestion of some good friends, I finally figured out how to make book requests online so I won't have to spent time trying to find everything by myself. It usually took me an hour or so and wasn't very fun for Amelia, who tended to get grumpy and eat any books within range. (She's an avid book-eater... but that's another post.)

Anyhow, I spent time to today making requests for books and CDs for the next three weeks worth of "school." Then I decided to check my account to make sure that everything had gone through. The account summary said that I was past my overdue limit. So I looked at the more detailed pages. I had renewed some books at the beginning of the month and one of them hadn't renewed for some reason. I tried to renew it, as it still had a renewal left but it told me that someone had a request out for it. Ah-ha!

Worried that this would effect my requests, I called the library and explained the situation. I told her that when I had renewed the books, online, it hadn't told me that the book had any requests out, and I had thought that it was renewed. After a few other suggestions, she said, "Maybe it did say it, and you just ignored it."

Um...yeah. I don't think I'll be calling to ask for anymore help with the online system. Next time I'll ask in person, so maybe she'll be less inclined towards such rude comments. Or at least I'll be able to get her name and report her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who is training to be a librarian, I wish I could say that we are more friendly when answering questions but research shows that they are not (I just read an article for my reference class about this very thing!). Unfortunately what happened to you is the norm. :-(
- Joyce

Jen said...

I have actually had other bad experiences with the librarians before.

In fact when I went to take back the book last night, the librarian at the front desk sent me back to the children's department just to pay the fine, even though I've paid the fine for a children's book at the front before. She was too busy reading a book of her own.

Sigh.